Whether you add a sunroom, family room or other room to your home, being cozy in your new room regardless of outdoor temperatures is important. However, they can present a unique situation for heating and cooling. This is since installing ductwork is expensive. And that your heating and cooling system may not be work properly with the higher load, since it was sized without considering the addition.
One of the most cost-effective solutions is to add a mini-split. This system provides energy-efficient heating and cooling, with no ductwork needed. Discover more about mini-splits and how adding one to your addition might be a good option.
All About Mini-Splits and How They Work
A ductless mini-split, because they’re much like ducted heat pumps that southern homeowners have relied on for decades.
Heat pumps are highly energy efficient since they shift heat to make your space cozier. In fact, many have achieved ENERGY STAR® certification, which may make you eligible for added rebates and reduce your energy expenses for a long time.
Another unique feature includes zoned heating and cooling. As each room usually has an individual indoor unit, you can set your preferred temperature from room to room. As an instance, a mini-split AC is particularly beneficial if you have a space with precise temperature needs, like a home gym.
Why a Mini-Split is Worth It for Your Space
Installing a mini-split system is worth it for rooms that lack ductwork. Here are a few reasons why it’s wiser than extending ductwork and relying on your existing heating and cooling system.
- Installing ductwork is pricey. Extending ductwork in your new addition can add up quickly. Although the total amount will depend on your unique situation, it run thousands of dollars.
- Your current home comfort system could become overwhelmed. When your present heating and cooling system was installed, it was based on the square footage of your home in advance of the addition. This could overwork your system and make it wear down more rapidly.
- Your comfort may be affected. Because your heating and cooling system is sized for precise square footage, your comfort may be reduced if your system is required to manage a bigger space. Your heating and cooling may be less powerful, and your energy expenses may go up due to the system needing to operate more often.
What Size Mini-Split You Should Get
Like regular systems, mini-splits are available in various sizes based on the square footage they’ll be heating and cooling. Here are three of the most regularly installed sizes:
- 400-650 square feet – 12,000 BTU mini-split
- 600-1,000 square feet – 18,000 BTU mini-split
- 800-1,300 square feet – 24,000 BTU mini-split
When you partner our Experts at Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning, we’ll help you get the proper size for your new area. And your budget.
An ENERGY STAR mini-split unit can generate sizable energy savings over its life cycle, which can be 20 years or greater when adequately maintained. ENERGY STAR says having one can save you 60% on heating and 30% on cooling, when compared to an electric heating system and conventional air conditioner.
Trust Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning for Your Mini-Split Installation
From addressing all your questions and helping you choose the recommended model to providing Expert mini-split installation, Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning can take care of all your mini-split needs. If you’re thinking about a home addition or recently completed one, we can help. Contact us at 587-404-0790 right away to request a free consultation and estimate.