Spring is nice for many reasons: flowers are blooming, you can open windows for crisp air and your energy bill is usually at its cheapest. That’s because you’re not turning on your heater or air.
But as temps begin to increase, so do your energy bills. Here are a couple of ideas for saving energy in Edmonton and keeping costs lower.
1. Book Yearly AC Maintenance
Giving your AC system an annual tune-up can help it operate more efficiently and reduce costs. Changing out your air filter will help keep power expenses less expensive.
If your air conditioning equipment has seen better days, spring is a good time to update it. The energy-saving technology in modern AC systems is a big advantage for keeping your electricity bill down.
2. Turn to Your Thermostat
There’s an easy way you can save up to 10% on HVAC bills. Just dial your thermostat back 7–10 degrees for 8 hours during the day.
Learning how to effectively use your thermostat is the best way to cut down on energy costs in the summer.
- Set your thermostat as high as comfortably possible when you’re around at home. Think of it this way, the smaller the difference between outside temperatures and interior temperatures, the cheaper your energy bill will be.
- When you’re out and about, set the thermostat to a lot higher temperature or switch it off. There’s no reason to cool an empty home.
3. Experiment with Other Approaches to Cool Your House
You can do a couple other methods to help keep your house cool:
- Use a ceiling fan—By turning on a ceiling fan, you can raise your thermostat setting an average of 4 degrees with no loss in comfort. Have your fan spin counterclockwise when it’s warm out, which forces cool air upward. This moves cool air more equally when you’re in the room.
- Keep blinds drawn—Sunlight quickly converts to heat as it passes through windows. Keep your home more comfortable by drawing blinds and curtains when you’re not using sunny rooms.
4. Look Into Getting a Smart Thermostat
You’re out and about and suddenly realize you forgot to turn up the thermostat. Then you fret about it the whole day!
Smart thermostats pick up on your routine and move the temp when you’re out to help you save energy and money. You can also set the thermostat from anywhere with your phone.
These pro suggestions will all help keep summer energy expenses down. If you figure out it’s time to upgrade your thermostat or need AC installation online. We’ll help you figure out the correct fit for your space. And like always, all our services are backed by a 100% satisfaction guarantee.*
*Not applicable to the Advantage Program™. See your signed Advantage Program agreement for full details and exclusions. 100% Satisfaction Guarantee is subject to certain restrictions and limitations as set forth in the applicable Terms and Conditions.